We Walters have our first teenager over here! We ushered him into this year real good, letting him know we acknowledge he is growing up. We honored this transition into manhood with a fine china sit down dinner with his choice of men & special people he admires around the table as well as his choice of food. Truly, he is no longer a little boy. James & I talked with him months ago about what this mile marker birthday would look like. I am soul fat & happy over how it all panned out.
We celebrate your life Joshua Henry and your place in ourfamily as the firstborn. That comes with both privileges and responsibilities I know. Hasn't always been easy as Dad & I have figured this parenting thing out. Gosh darn, if we haven't of made a million and two mistakes along the way and felt like surely, we have ruined you now...yet, mercy follows us and you kids are more resilient than we think. And truly, you have learned along with us and your personhood has been shaped into a compassionate, intelligent leader who is ready to tackle tasks and offer an encouraging word. I am proud of you!
After our delicious meal your Dad had you sit in a seat of honor beside he and I. He shared words from his heart and scripture. He affirmed you letting you know as you enter this next phase where your not going to be as sheltered as the younger kids from evil and whats going on in the world around us that you have both us and the folks at this table to process life with. I respect your Dad's courage to admit that he does have lots to offer you and teach you, but he doesn't have everything and welcomes you being apprenticed by others during these next few years of school/ work/ life training. We feel extremely blessed by God to be in such a community of folks with such diverse gifts.
Your Dad then gave everyone at the table a chance to say a few words about what they saw in you. It was sacred ground. As your Mother I was so proud to hear of your work ethic and leadership that others saw in you when I haven't been there beside you while you were in sports or at a job. You grinned large, nodded and offered a humble, "Thank you." Today, the day after, you said those words people spoke was one of the best birthday presents you got.
Then, in front of these wonderful folks, your Mama Jo, your Pop-pop and big cousin Grant too, we presented you with the inner piece of your first guitar.....a First Acts one when you were 3. There are blood splatter marks on the piece of wood from where you played it so hard your knuckles blead.
Then....we presented you with the electric guitar you have been drooling over for months...and you cried and hugged us. It was all just magical. Mama Jo gave you a framed collage of pictures of you as a child on the drums, with a guitar and dancing. It is priceless and shows your love of music from a young age. What a treasure!

And then you and your best bud for 7 years hung out, tinkered with your new toy, watched movies late into the night, drank butterscotch beer and ate junk food. You were so content. How does one night change the view upon a person? You grew up before my eyes tonight in a major way. I miss the sweet baby days with you my son, but even more so I am looking forward to being a part of the next chapter and watching you go into the world with confidence, providing and protecting, being a giver and not a taker.
Then the boy party on Saturday...the combining of friends from different circles to have a boy day at our house even tho it was rainy was what you so wanted. Your sisters went to play at a friends, and the Mamas of the boys brought snacks to keep you guys fed throughout the day. It was fun to see you guys laugh, play card games, shoot sling shots, talk about music and watch a movie. Our house is a wreck but sweet is the aroma of boys who said "Thank you, Mrs. Walters for having me." And deep and happy is your heart for having buddies in your space for a day.
I love you. I like you even more. As you try new things, tackle new challenges, try your wings, attempt daring projects with your Dad know I believe in you and like your Dad said so well at your man dinner...."You have what it takes."


love love love! thank you for being the mama just ahead of me on this parenting journey, setting the standard and leading the way. love you and that big teenage boy of yours. treasures all around!
ReplyDeleteHe is such a handsome boy! My how that time flew right by! My big boy is still 12 1/2, but he is taller than me now! After months of daily height comparisons, he took me in about a week! lol What a sweet blessing to enjoy our big, growing boys. Praising God with you!
ReplyDeleteGreat young man, great family. Blessed to be your neighbor! We love y'all! Sweet post.
ReplyDelete